As Game Master, you run each session of the game, providing the link between the players and the world of the game. It’s up to you to set the scene as the player characters battle monsters, interact with other people, and explore the world.
When you take on the role of Game Master, you’ll have the rewarding job of crafting fun experiences for a group of your friends. Your responsibilities include...
- Telling the story of the group’s adventures in a compelling and consistent way.
- Fleshing out the world in which the game takes place, emphasizing the fantastical while grounding it enough in the real world to feel believable.
- Entertaining the players and yourself with novel concepts, and rewarding creative ideas with interesting outcomes.
- Preparing for game sessions by building or studying adventures and creating characters and plots.
- Improvising the reactions of nonplayer characters and other forces in the world as the players do unexpected things.
- Making rules decisions to ensure fairness and keep the game moving forward.
This section provides the tools you need to shoulder those responsibilities. The following sections break down the various components of a campaign, discuss the different modes of play and how to set DCs for the tasks the PCs attempt, provide different ways of rewarding player characters, and describe aspects of the environment that might affect an adventuring party.